Last year at MozCon 2013, we kept a list of all of the tools that were mentioned by speakers. At MozCon 2012, Thomas Høgenhaven started the concept: MozCon 2012 Tools. They’ve been great resources that I refer back to frequently, and this year we’re keeping track again.
So, below is a list of all of the tools mentioned at MozCon 2014, divided into the following categories:
- Content & Data Visualization Tools
- SEO Tools
- Link Building, Outreach, & PR Tools
- UX, CRO, & Design Tools
- Community & Social Media Tools
- Analytics Tools
- User Research Tools
- Business Management & Development Tools
This list will be updated in real-time (wi-fi permitting) over the next 3 days. Also, be sure to check out our highlights of the best quotes from MozCon 2014.
Notice something we missed?
Please email email@example.com or tweet @kanejamison and we’ll get it added!
Content & Data Visualization Tools
- NaNoWriMo – National Novel Writing Month
- 6-3-5 Worksheet on Google Docs
- NUF Testing. Is it new? Is it useful? Is it feasible?
- WP-PicShield – watermarking wordpress images.
- YouTube Analytics – Tubular
- Unruly Media, shared by Phil Nottingham
- Viral Marketing: The Science of Sharing, recommended by Phil
- Story Cubes
- International Content: Alchemy API
- International Content: Nudo.io
- opennlp.apache.org entity extraction and other language processing
- quepy.machinalis.com for entity queries (?)
- bit.ly/CTRisbroken from Wil Reynolds
- Flash Friday Flash Fiction
- Simitator.com/generator/twitter -> then run them through Fivesecondtest.com
- bit.ly/hotcontentbymonth from Wil Reynolds & Ethan Lyons
- DemographicsPro, bit.ly/demopro1
- Google Page Speed Tools – https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/
- Mobile Moxie Toolset, mentioned by Cindy Krum
- Local SEO Reviews: Getfivestars.com or build your own review tool with Gravity forms or similar.
- CallRail.com for dynamic image insertion on local phone call tracking.
Link Building, Outreach, & PR Tools
- Buzzstream, mentioned by Lexi Mills
- bit.ly/10k-test – Taboola PPC experiment from SEER
- The PR Masterclass http://www.alexsingleton.com/the-pr-masterclass/
UX, CRO, & Design Tools
- Optimizely, mentioned by Kyle Rush
- WordPress headline split-testing plugin
- Landing page optimization bit.ly/1wkpgye
- Going beyond the low hanging fruit bit.ly/1kU4sZ0
- bit.ly/1oVRf6i – Testing Standards Template
- Experiment Brief Template: bit.ly/1nvNJjx
Analytics & PPC Tools
- Udacity Intro to Statistics Course.
- SuperMetrics Data Grabber: http://supermetrics.com/product/supermetrics-data-grabber/
- Bing Rich Captions: http://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/bing-rich-captions
- Conversion Loss Calculator: http://www.tagman.com/conversion-loss-calculator/
- PLA (Product Listing Ads) Dashboard: http://www.portent.com/blog/ppc/new-product-listing-ads-dashboad.htm
- Elizabeth Marten’s Link Dump: https://bitly.com/bundles/ebkendo/8
- SimilarWeb.com is your new best friend for competitive analysis.
- Use Splunk for Log File analysis. Otherwise weblogexpert.com or exacttrend.com
- Resources from Justin Cutroni:
User Research Tools
- American Customer Satisfaction Index – 80,000 consumer survey about products & services to gauge level of satisfaction, mentioned by @kerrybodine.
- Use fingerprint.js for browser fingerprints.
- Use Bing Maps and Mapquest for better free map data than Google.
- PHP library for grabbing census data.
- WhitePagesPro API
- Marketing Automation Platforms: Marketo , monetate, mintigo, mineful, leadlander
- Google Prediction API for predictive modeling
- Facebook Graph Search Queries from @StaceyCav
- Tribalytics.com from @StaceyCav
- Exploratorium Visitor Experience Map. Mentioned by @kerrybodine.
- Evercookie is a sneaky tool for self-regenerating cookies.
- Crunchbase API for company data. FullCompany should have this soon.
- SEMRush for PPC spend estimates.
- Visual Site Optimizer
- Rocket something?
- R Studio for stats, and then Shiny for creating content with it.
- Domino up
- Kaggle – crowd sourced data science.
- Lucky Orange user session tracking.
- Mandrill by mailchimp for email triggers.
- Affinity Segments in Google Analytics
- GEOIP2 to identify based upon IP location. IPinfo.io does the same.
- RapLeaf and Full Contact for personal data based upon email.
- Grab company details with BuiltWith API, or Wappalyzer’s github libraries
- Weather data with developer.forecast.io
- Ruler as your open source rule engine. “If user does X, we should do Y”. Use this for progressive profiling (the way hubspot does with their form data recalling user info). Also works for firing retargeting tags to specific users, or showing them custom content based upon what we know about them.
- Easyrec – open source recommenation engine. Use it for user-customized product recommendations.
- Quantum Lead is Mike’s platform that combines all of this stuff. quantumleader() and saveemail() are the key data parameters he mentioned.
✉️ Get an email when we publish new content:
Don't worry, we won't bug you with junk. Just great content marketing resources.
Ready To Try
Get your first 10 briefs for just $10
No trial limits or auto renewals. Just upgrade when you're ready.
You Might Also Like:
- Content Brief Templates: 19 Free Downloads & Examples
- The Keyword Difficulty Myth
- How To Find Bottom of Funnel (BoFU) Keywords That Convert
- Bottom of Funnel Content: What Is BOFU Content & 10 Great Examples
- 20 Content Refresh Case Studies & Examples: How Updating Content Can Lead to a Tidal Wave of Traffic 🌊
- How to Create Editorial Guidelines [With 9+ Examples]
- Content Marketing Roles
- How To Write SEO-Focused Content Briefs
- The Content Optimization Framework: [Intent > Topic > UX]
- How To Update & Refresh Old Website Content (And Why)
- 12 Content Marketing KPIs Worth Tracking (And 3 That Aren't)
- 16 Best Content Writing Tools in 2022 (Free & Paid)
- How to Create a Content Marketing Strategy [+ Free Template]
- How To Create Content Marketing Proposals That Land The Best Clients
- What Is A Content Brief (And Why Is It Important)?
- How To Create A Dynamite Editorial Calendar [+ Free Spreadsheet Template]
- How to Use Content Marketing to Improve Customer Retention
- Types of Content Hubs: 5 Approaches & 30+ Examples
- How To Do A Content Marketing Quick Wins Analysis
- There's A Better Way To Measure Keyword Difficulty