Note 7/23: I spent the whole morning doing a server transfer after walking into MozCon and finding out my site was down. As a result, this day is more of a Twitter curation + resources than a liveblog. As a result, this post is pretty much the Ruth Burr show – she’s been tweeting harder this week than all of us combined, so follow her on Twitter and G+ because she deserves it. Playing catchup right now with all the great presentations. Many thanks to Michael Cottam of Visual Itineraries for his assistance with some database troubles.
Overall takeaway for the day – and the week? This:
At the last marketing conference I attended (SearchFest in Portland in February) I walked away with 7 pages of handwritten notes after a single day. But, handwritten notes don’t do me or anyone else any good, they just get locked away in the file cabinet. So for MozCon I’m going to publish my notes here. I’m not promising a hardcore live blogging session, but I’ll publish notes on everything that I feel is worth writing down.
You can also find me tweeting @KaneJamison – I’ll try to embed any important tweets from myself and others into this post.
Previous Day: MozCon 2012 Day One Recap
Next Day: MozCon 2012 Day Three Recap
Other Live Blogging Sessions and Recaps I’m Aware Of:
- @RuthBurr, SEOMoz’s inhouse SEO, has some excellent tweets coming out fast and furious from each post, definitely worth following her to get some quicker updates since wi-fi takes awhile to get updates out.
- All presentations from the weekend can be downloaded here: http://www.seomoz.org/mozcon-live/agenda
Day: Thursday, July 26
Link Analytics Through API – Richard Baxter
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/e2ea0f053c0153e145dd.pptx
Description: Learn how an everyday inbound marketer can make use of simple APIs to discover more about your links (or potential links). Are they good or bad? What do they say about your site? Who’s got the good stuff?
Download: Mozscape API extension for Excel
High ROI Content Strategies for SEO – Cyrus Shepard
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/ae38a8d63265ebf6d351.pdf
Description: Need to get a bang for your buck? Cyrus focuses in on how to boost your SEO ROI with targeted and precise content.
How to Earn Links Without Doing Anything – Ian Lurie
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/a866e1cc3b32fd9f63cc.pdf
Description: Embrace your own awesome while kicking back and relaxing. Ian takes you through how to be so brilliant online that you’ll be swimming in links.
- Here’s Ian’s blog post of his presentation: http://www.portent.com/blog/internet-marketing/say-what-matters-my-mozcon-2012-presentation.htm
- Here’s the link bundle of his presentation: http://bitly.com/bundles/portentint/g
Redefining Business Models in a Post-Penguin World – Greg Boser
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/faa9fdd9d02303c956a3.pptx
Description: For both agencies and in-house teams, Greg covers how to re-tool your operation to thrive and grow in Google’s new world. Includes killing the “yes man” mentality, managing expectations, and performance-based models.
Online Reputation Management – Rhea Drysdale
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/86d30a8fabb5a8129f2f.pptx
Description: Learn how to make your presence last online and how your reputation is more than just a Google Alert.
Persona Modeling Unhinged: The Zen of “Whole” Customer – Marty Weintraub
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/867269f559178fbefc8c.pdf
Description: Explore radical social PPC targeting combos to comprise comprehensive “Persona” modeling concepts. Identify multi-channel market segments demonstrating susceptibility to KPIs. If your audience exists, we’ll teach you to identify, target, and DESTROY it!
See the blog post of Marty’s Presentation here: http://www.aimclearblog.com/2012/06/29/psychographic-targeting-unhinged-the-zen-of-whole-customer-persona-modeling/
A Secret Algo Project Launch – Pete Meyers
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/30b331b89b43231403bc.pptx
Description: Tired of chasing the Algorithm? Dr. Pete has been watching the Google weather and will help you bring your storm-chasing to the next level. Dr. Pete shared a lot of good interpretation of Google’s search update process and how it will change in the future.
Announcement: Mozcast – A new metric that tracks day-to-day change in 1000 keyword SERPs. Builds on Dr. Pete’s “Bigfoot Update” post on the SEOMoz blog. Mozcast also reports on Twitter.
The D Word: Leading the Way to Great Design – Jenny Lam
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/68f71b8e377689da49ae.pdf
Description: The best sites are both art and craft. Yes, websites can be artisanal! Jenny talks about the state of design, how to hire for it, and how make it part of your day-to-day culture.
- Mint.com amounts to $170 million in design and UI.
- Gillette study that every $1 spent on advertising yielded $7.21, and every $1 spent on design yielded $415.17.
Google+ SEO & Authorship – AJ Kohn
Download Presentation Here: https://seomoz.box.com/shared/static/9d0e2e2a04749c31215a.pptx
Description: Nervous about Google+? AJ’s here to hold your hand and figure out how to make it work — and get a head start — for your business.
- bit.ly/gplusnumbers <- Statistics on G+ usage
- http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/google-plus-seo – Google+ SEO Profile for personal profiles
- http://bit.ly/relpublisher Rel=Publisher instructions
- http://bit.ly/shouldfollowme Study on what terms to use to get people to follow you
- http://bit.ly/setuprelauthor How to set up rel=author on your site
- I had no idea rel=publisher was only meant for homepages – the documentation on it is terrible so thanks to him for clarifying.
✉️ Get an email when we publish new content:
Don't worry, we won't bug you with junk. Just great content marketing resources.
Ready To Try
Get your first 10 briefs for just $10
No trial limits or auto renewals. Just upgrade when you're ready.
You Might Also Like:
- Content Brief Templates: 19 Free Downloads & Examples
- The Keyword Difficulty Myth
- How To Find Bottom of Funnel (BoFU) Keywords That Convert
- Bottom of Funnel Content: What Is BOFU Content & 10 Great Examples
- 20 Content Refresh Case Studies & Examples: How Updating Content Can Lead to a Tidal Wave of Traffic 🌊
- How to Create Editorial Guidelines [With 9+ Examples]
- Content Marketing Roles
- How To Write SEO-Focused Content Briefs
- The Content Optimization Framework: [Intent > Topic > UX]
- How To Update & Refresh Old Website Content (And Why)
- 12 Content Marketing KPIs Worth Tracking (And 3 That Aren't)
- 16 Best Content Writing Tools in 2022 (Free & Paid)
- How to Create a Content Marketing Strategy [+ Free Template]
- How To Create Content Marketing Proposals That Land The Best Clients
- What Is A Content Brief (And Why Is It Important)?
- How To Create A Dynamite Editorial Calendar [+ Free Spreadsheet Template]
- How to Use Content Marketing to Improve Customer Retention
- Types of Content Hubs: 5 Approaches & 30+ Examples
- How To Do A Content Marketing Quick Wins Analysis
- There's A Better Way To Measure Keyword Difficulty